What I do
I provide commercially focused tax advice to businesses and their owners. Tax is becoming more complex all the time and my job is to simplify it as far as possible for my clients so they can make commercial decisions with a clear picture of what the tax outcomes will be.
Many of our clients are increasingly looking overseas for new market opportunities. Cross border taxation has many traps for the unwary – I help clients navigate a path through these so they can concentrate on their new business ventures without worrying about the tax regimes in the UK and abroad.
Recent projects I have been involved in include:
- Advising a UK client on the acquisition of a German business
- Implementing Enterprise Management Incentive Schemes clients across a range of sectors
- Helping clients to obtain large tax refunds by way of the R&D tax credit scheme
- Working with our corporate finance team advising clients on the tax implications of selling their business.
Where I've been
After beginning my career with the Inland Revenue (showing my age) I have mainly worked for Big 4 accountancy firms but also had a spell as UK tax Manager for a German multinational company.
Immediately before joining HURST in June 2015 I spent four years working as an Executive Director in the tax practice of EY in Perth, Western Australia. Exchanging Perth for Stockport may seem like an unusual move but the opportunity to join the team at HURST was too good to turn down!
What I've learned
That I really didn’t miss scraping ice off the windscreen of my car...
Why we're unlike any other accountant
The quality of our people means we really can offer a Big 4 standard of technical ability, but combined with a real awareness of the commercial issues our clients face, all delivered with the client service ethos of a local accountancy firm. That combination is unique in my (very long!) experience.
- Favourite film: The Battle of Britain
- Favourite music: The Beatles
- Favourite food: Cheese – the smellier the better…
- Favourite city: Singapore